Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Sidelined With Back Pain

While I had *planned* to write this week about how good it felt to get back to weight lifting after a 10-day hiatus (thanks to my Vegas trip) -- today I got knocked out at the gym by some serious lower back pain. Let me explain.

It was my first exercise of the day - a deadlift from a box. Here's what they look like:



Obviously that guy is lifting a lot more weight than me. I only had 50 pounds on the bar, so about 95 lbs total. I did my first set of 8 and felt fine. It was halfway through the second set that I felt a sharp tightening and knew I was in trouble. I could barely bend over to put the weights back on the ground before collapsing. I really should have listened to my "inner voice" this morning when I woke up. I knew my back was kind of stiff when I got out of bed, and worried that I might hurt it during today's workout, since most of my exercises today involved the back. Now I'm just mad at myself, because this means at least 3 days of doing nothing -- no weights, no running. I just hope this heals fast.

No comments: